User Guide - AMC Server Features
By Moke (email@example.com) - 20061127
AMC's servers are specially customised to provide enterprise customer
a hassle-free and management-free solution so that you can focus on your core business.
Tedious tasks (eg. Backup, Restore, Errors, Hardware failures, Virus, Software updates) will be totally taken care by AMC.
Server Features and Capabilities
- AMC's Server is built with central reporting system, reporting
directly to AMC monitoring system
- Server over-heating alert to prevent data loses due to heat issue
- Weekly detail report on server status and performance to customer
- Operate without monitor, keyboard and mouse, thus saving electrical power and space
- Musical Boot-up and shut-down status notification
- Time Synchronisation with Singapore Standard Time Server
- Hourly Anti-virus Data definition updates
- Spam checks and filtering for all incoming email
- Time Synchronisation for Workstation
- Programmable Numeric or Alpha-Numeric paging notification. (Optional)
- New Mail Message Notification (with AMC's File and Email Server only)
- SMTP Intrusion Monitoring and Alert system
- Virus Propagation Detection system - Customer will be notified
- Website filtering to prevent Internet Traffic abuse
- Remote Backup for Accounting Data
- Integrated Print Server Services ( 1 LPT and 1 USB Port )
- Additional remote mail server to receive your mail when your server or internet link wasn't available
- 180 days password expiry system to enforce password policy
Caring for the Server(s)
- Be gentle with the server
- Avoid subjecting the server to extreme temperatures below 5°C or above 35°C
- Keep Server away from fire and water source
- Keep the server away from magnets, activated cellular phones, electrical appliances, or speakers (within 13cm/5in)
- Be sure that the server is turned off before moving it. This will prevent damage to the hard disk and data loss
- Install a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for the server if the power supply in your office is not stable
- If your office's electrical current is running above 240 volt, UPS with built-in voltage regulator is required instead
- Install surge protection devices for all network devices on your network. It could protect against lost of data and damage of equipment during the event of a power surge
Common Issue During / After Migration
1. Error on logon scipt. Error message on logon script is normal as every user is using a common script
to access to the server. The error will be solved when new development is ready for deployment.
This does not pose any problem to the network as security is handled by the server.
2. Email password saved in the system might be lost. This is due to email password was captured within
the system user's profile. Migration to the domain and changing of user name will means that user
will be using a new profile on the system itself.
3. Files deleted from the server intensionally / un-intentionally cannot be undeleted. And files deleted
from the server will not reside in the recycle bin of the computer. Thus users are advised to be
practise caution when performing delete function.
1. Pentium 486 with Network Interface card (for standard file sharing usage)
2. Pentium III 500MHz for all features
File Server's Strengths and Weaknesses
1. Domain Logon is not available for Microsoft XP Operating System onward.
2. Remote Profile is not available for implementation.
3. Capable of providing Script Logon for Drive Mapping.
4. Support Customisation of Software Self-Installation during user's logon process
(for Company using permanent Internet Connection only)
5. Capable of preventing users from saving specific files on server (eg mp3, jpeg, avi etc )
6. Capable of generation PDF document without purchasing Adobe Acrobat Writer.
7. Capable of printing to graphics files (jpeg, tiff) using the file server's printing feature.
1. Minimum Volume-Based (unlimited connection) Broadband Internet Connection or Better
2.Internet Explorer 5 or higher (IE 5.5 for HTML Composition)
3. Intel Pentium 500MHz Processing Client or equivalent
Web Mail's Strengths and weaknesses
1. Address Book cannot be imported into the webmail because the address book format are different.
2. All users using Webmail will have a default local email account, they can access webmail using the
user ID provided.
3. Local Address Book for All Local User.
4. Support Local Workgroup Mail with or without Internet Access.
5. Support International Roaming for company with permanent internet connection.
(Implementation cost requires if company is not having static IP else Dynamic DNS service is
6. No installation or configuration required for using Webmail
7. Can access to email using any workstation available
8. Password protected access for all user
9. New Mail notification when browser is lock at webmail
10. Auto-logout at pre-destinated timing (default 60 mins) for security purpose.
11. Auto-login before webmail's session expires using the same PC.
11. Auto-Reply feature. (for Customer using AMC's email Server)
12. Junkmail filtering feature (Client-based).
13. Calendering and event notification during access.
14. Group Calendering (Group, Departmental, Company etc)
- Multiple Administrator (Administrator will lost the capability of having personal Calender)
- Single Administrator (As above . but could create a separate account specially for Administering
15. Global Address Book
15. Better security control as no one is able to view your email when they gain unauthorise access to their
16. Restricting User from sending mail to Un-Authorised addresses specified by the Company.
17. Limiting Users to Internal Email Only
18. WebDisk Support . Users can assess Files or Data stored in their H Driver when they logon from
outside of the office (Requires Static IP)
WebMail and Viruses Issue
With careful planing and usage, lot of virus can be prevented. Some of the features within webmail can be used to protect against virus-infected mails. Following are the features:-
Show image attachment as link
Show HTML message as plain text
Disable embedded links inside message
Filter messages with faked SMTP
Filter messages with faked From field
Filter msgs with faked exe content-type
User's education and discipline on these areas are really important to enable webmail's features to fully protect your system
Server's Backup System
Server's Backup System Strengths and weaknesses
1. Server's Backup System is solely for redundancy of fast server recovery during harddisk failure
2. Data integrity could not be guarantee as lighting strike or power surge could easily damage all the
redundancy harddisk within the server. UPS with power surge protection and Tape / separate backup
are still the best solution for sequential backup solution for disaster and intrusion protection
3. Tape Drive / Iomega Zip drive could be purchased to act as a backup system. Recommendation are
a. Floppy - usually for files lesser than 1.44MB
b. Iomega Zip Drive - 250MB (can be deployed on server for automated backup)
- Recommended for Daily Sequential Backup Solution
c. CDRW Drive - 640MB
d. Tape Drive - 4GB, 8GB, 12GB, 24G, 40GB, 80GB
4. Capable to backing up important data via email (for Customer using AMC's email Server)
5. AMC's Main Server could act as your daily backup warehouse for your accounting file upon request.
(for Data not more then 5MB per day for a week)
Mail Server's Strengths and weaknesses
1. Unable to filter outgoing mail
2. Capable of filtering junkmail and viruses before the mail reaches the specified recipents (Optional)
3. New Mail Message Notification (with AMC's File and Email Server only)
1. Fax Line must be within 3 meter from AMC's Server. (Fax line re-wiring not provided by AMC)
2. Existing Fax number can be used.
3. Fax Machine must support 3 second delay for Fax Server to pick up the call first
4. Phone privacy switch is required (Provided by AMC)
Fax Server's Strengths and weaknesses
*1. Can only be use to faciliate work flow, can never really replaced fax machine
2. Can be forwarded to various email addresses. (for Customer using AMC's email Server)
AMC's Server and Virus Related Issue
1. Viruses are spread through during method:-
b. Web browsing
c. Data Transfer
d. Floppy Disk and CDROM access
2. AMC' server do have a [ virus attachment filter ] for the email server (Optional), but it cannot
filter mails which contain links which in-directly lead you to a specific website to download the virus.
3. Desktop's Anti-virus software is still the best method of protecting your workstation from viruses
4. Desktop's Anti-virus software requires a minimum of 2 update per week to ensure optimum protection.
Workstation recommendation for Maintenance Contract Customer
1. User are advised to replace problematic system when the PC's age is greater than 2 years